Seth Kaller, Inc.

Inspired by History

Other Revolutionary War Offerings


A New Hampshire and Maine Company in the Siege of Boston, with Three Deserters
Click to enlarge:

[SIEGE OF BOSTON]. Manuscript Document. “Return Cap.t of Samuel Leighton Company in the 30th Regiment of Foot, commanded by Colonel James Scamman,” Kittery, [Mass.], May – July 1775. 1 p., 15⅛ x 12¾ in.

Inventory #20632.02       Price: $2,500

Covering the period that included the Battle of Bunker Hill, Leighton and 46 other men are listed on this company return, which also includes their date and place of enlistment, rate of pay, and an abstract of pay due to the last day of July inclusive. Of the Maine men who had enlisted in the company (mostly in May 1775), three are recorded as having deserted by July 1.  


[Captain] Samuel Leighton

[Lieutenant] William Fernald

[Ensign] William Frost


[Sergeant] William Cole

[Sergeant] John Johnson

[Sergeant] Josiah Paul

[Sergeant] Thomas Savage


[Corporal] Enoch Meloon

[Corporal] Moses Witham

[Corporal] Stephen Nason

[Corporal] Joshua Fernald


Henry Foss [Drummer]

John Frost [Fifer]


Tobias Leighton [Private]

Simon Frost

Samuel Neal

Robert Patch

Daniel Adams

John Ferguson

Jonathan Nason

Daniel Green

Pelatiah Witham

Stephen Ferguson

Charles Frost

Joshua Emery


John Gould

Daniel Lord

Charles Caverly

Tobias Hanscom

John Chick

Ebenezer Hammonds

John Whitelock

James Remick

Alexander Gould

Lemuel Smith

James Emery

John Jordan

Charles Sarjant


James Smart

William Nutter

Fredrick Peverly

Zebedee Siers… deserted…

Thomas Mahany

John Standley

James Davis… deserted…

William Gould… deserted…

Jeremiah Witham


Good. Some tanning, fading, and staining.

Historical Background

In the wake of the April 19, 1775 Battles of Lexington and Concord, Joseph Warren, chairman of the Massachusetts Committee of Safety, sent out an urgent call to arms. Among the first to respond was Samuel Leighton, a prosperous, 35-year old farmer from the region then known as Piscataqua, (the watershed centered around Great Bay and its rivers) near Portsmouth, New Hampshire and Kittery, Maine. (Maine was part of Massachusetts at the time.) Leighton was commissioned as a captain and empowered to enlist a company of men “for the protection of American Liberty.” Leighton and his men joined the 30th Regiment commanded by Colonel James Scamman (or Scammon) and promptly marched south to Cambridge. There, they joined a growing cadre of Minutemen and militiamen sent to assist beleaguered Boston. Six months later they witnessed the end of the siege as the British sailed away, to regroup in Canada.

Biographies of Leighton frequently state that he fought at Bunker Hill, but the military record suggests that he and his men missed the June 17, 1775, battle. Due to a miscommunication, the 30th Regiment ended up on Cobble Hill at Lechmere’s Point, instead of at the action on Breed’s Hill. The regiment’s absence led to a court-martial of Colonel Scamman the next month, although he was acquitted on all charges. Drummer Henry Foss, testified that,

as we marched down Cambridge road, we met two men on horseback, who told us the regulars were landing at Lechmere-Point. We then marched very fast, towards the point where we met Gen. Whitcomb, who told Col. Scammans to go round to the hill, which hill I understood to mean the little round hill, we marched to. I was within ten feet of General Whitcomb, when these orders were given.

On July 3, 1775, George Washington arrived to take command of Continental forces. He faced the daunting task of converting the ill-trained troops into an army while at the same time trying to drive the British out of Boston. As the siege dragged on through the fall, Washington sent Henry Knox on a daring mission to retrieve captured cannon from Ticonderoga. When Knox returned with the artillery, Washington and the American army silently fortified Dorchester Heights, overlooking Boston, on the night of March 4, 1776. The British awoke to find themselves ringed by cannon. Having to choose between attacking the heavily-fortified positions or evacuate, they chose the latter, retreating to their ships on March 17 and sailing from Boston on March 27.

Selected References

Goold, Nathan. History of Col. James Scamman’s Thirtieth Regiment of Foot (Portland, Maine: Thurston Print, 1899)

Jordan, Tristram Frost and Usher Parsons. Leighton Genealogy: An account of the descendants of Capt. William Leighton of Kittery, Maine (J. Munsell’s Sons, 1885)

Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors in the War of the Revolution, Vols. I-XVII (Boston, 1896)

Revolutionary War service records,

Add to Cart Ask About This Item Add to Favorites