Copper Pin Relic from the USS Hartford
Click to enlarge:
Select an image:
Ephemera. Copper pin, 10¼ in. long x ¾ in. diameter. Engraved: “1858 / USS Hartford,” “Farragut 1-28-62 to 12-13-64,” “New Orleans” “Vicksburg” “Mobile Bay.” Fine patina. Mounted with wire to an 8 x 2 x 1 in. wooden base.
Built in 1858, the USS Hartford was the flagship of Rear Admiral David G. Farragut, the commander of the West Gulf Blockading Squadron. The “Hartford” served in several prominent campaigns in the Civil War, including New Orleans, Vicksburg, and, most notably, the Battle of Mobile Bay on August 5, 1864. It was during this battle that Rear Admiral Farragut supposedly ordered “Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead!” and led his ship into Mobile Bay to victory with the rest of his fleet following.
Ex-Paul DeHaan Collection of Items Related to Admiral D.G. Farragut and the USS Hartford.