Governor George Clinton Grants New York Land
To Revolutionary War Veteran
Click to enlarge:
Granting Zacheus Kilbourn a parcel of land in Lysander Township, New York. GEORGE CLINTON.
Partially Printed Document Signed as Governor of New York, July 8, 1790. With original large wax pendant seal affixed at the bottom edge. 1 p., 18¼ x 11½ in., framed with archival materials to 27 x 24 in.
“...By an act of our legislature, passed the sixth day of April, one thousand, seven hundred and ninety...We have given, Granted and Confirmed...Zacheus Kilbourn all that certain tract of land…being in the County of Montgomery and in the township of Lysander...”
Under the Treaty of 1788 negotiated at Fort Stanwix, the Onondaga Indians ceded all their lands except for the Onondaga reservation to the state of New York. The United States Congress had designated that land and another tract lying west of it as bounty lands for soldiers of the Revolutionary war. Simeon De Witt, the Geographer and Surveyor-General of the Continental Army and later Surveyor General of the State of New York, laid out the land into twenty-five townships, each intended to contain as nearly as possible 60,000 acres of land, and each township being divided into 100 lots. Here, Governor of New York George Clinton grants a parcel of this military tract land in Lysander Township to Zacheus Kilbourn.
George Clinton (1739–1812) was an American soldier and statesman who served as Governor of New York for 21 years. He was vice president in both the Jefferson and Madison administrations.