Print of the N.Y. 7th Regiment on Parade Drill in Washington Square, With NYU in the Background
Click to enlarge:
A beautifully hand-colored lithographic print showing the regiment on parade with mounted officers viewing from the left, and the public from the right. A scarce print. [NEW YORK].
Hand-colored lithograph, N.Y., , entitled “National Guard, 7th. Regt. N.Y.S.M. / From the Original picture by Major Bötticher in the possession of the 8th. Co. N.G. / [The principal heads from Daguerreotypes – by Meade Brothers 233 Broadway N.Y. / New York, Published by Otto Bötticher, 289 Broadway].” “[O]n Stone by C. Gildemeister, 289 Broadway N.Y. / Print by Nagel & Weingaertner N.[Y.]” “Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1852 by Otto Bötticher…”
36 x 28 in. (sheet size).
The 7th Regiment comprised New York City’s social elite and was known for its elaborate uniforms and equipment, and later its imposing armory on Park Avenue. However, according to the New York Public Library: “Prior to 1860, the 7th Regiment paraded and drilled outdoors. Here they are shown on Washington Square, with New York University and the Reformed Dutch Church in the background. This particularly detailed lithograph was made from a painting by Otto Botticher, and includes portraits of specific members, taken from daguerreotypes.”
The 7th’s history dates back to 1806, when four companies of artillery were formed in the New York State militia and named the 2nd Battalion 11th Regiment of Artillery. It saw brief action in the War of 1812. In July 1825, the battalion was one of many commands turned out in New York City to welcome the visiting hero Marquis de LaFayette, the French aristocrat who had helped America during the Revolutionary War and brought France into conflict against the British to aid the new nation. To honor him, the battalion took the name “National Guard” in recognition of the celebrated Garde Nationale de Paris, which Lafayette had commanded during the early days of the French Revolution. The New York 7th Regiment was the first state militia unit to be named National Guard.
During the Civil War, the 7th was one of the first units to respond to President Lincoln’s call for volunteers on April 19, 1861, occupying Arlington Heights, Virginia to help protect the capital from possible attack by the Confederate Army during the first months of the war. In July of 1863, the 7th was ordered back to New York to respond to the Draft Riots and was on duty under General John A. Dix in New York City from July 16–20.
After the war, a new armory, designed by Sanford White, was constructed for the unit in 1877. The 7th Regiment Armory still stands on Park Avenue between 66th and 67th streets in the heart of Manhattan’s Upper East Side.
Professionally conserved. Margins trimmed resulting in the loss of some text.
New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center.
Park Avenue Armory. http://www.armoryonpark.org/armory_history/